Ana Morais has received her Ph.D. in Sustainable Chemistry in 2018 from the NOVA University of Lisbon, Portugal. Her doctoral research was focused on the development of effective and more sustainable solvent systems based on supercritical and sub-critical fluids for producing fuels and chemicals from biomass. While pursuing her Ph.D., Ana Morais has received the Green Talents Award (2016) - International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development – from Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany for her work in the field of sustainable chemistry and engineering. Currently, Ana Morais is doing her post-doctoral research at The University of Kansas, in Mark B. Shiflett’s laboratory. Her research encompasses several avenues for the development of sustainable chemical processes, such as the study of green solvent systems with unique properties (e.g., mixtures of CO2 and Ionic liquids) which could be used in more economical catalytic processes. Also, Ana Morais is working on the determination of physical properties of refrigerants with low global warming potential in lubricants and polymers, in collaboration with Chemours Company. Furthermore, Ana Morais is also developing an effective encapsulation method to prevent the denaturation of proteins in vaccines during transportation, thereby improving vaccine logistics across the globe and the overall sustainability of healthcare programs.
- Morais, A. R. C., Alaras Luis M., Baek, Donna L., Fox, Robert L., Shiflett, Mark B. and Scurto, M. Aaron. Viscosity of 1-Alkyl-1-methylpyrrolidinium Bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide Ionic Liquids Saturated with Compressed CO2. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data. 2019. DOI:10.1021/acs.jced.8b01237.
- Turnaoglu, T., Minnick, D. L., Morais, A. R. C., Baek, D. L., Fox, R. V., Scurto, A. M. and Shiflett, M. B. Vapor–Liquid Equilibrium of 1-n-Alkyl-1-methylpyrrolidinium Bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)amide Ionic Liquids and Compressed CO2. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data. 2019. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jced.8b01236.
- Fockink, D. H., Morais, A. R. C., Ramos, L. P., Lukasik, R. M. Insight into the high-pressure CO2 pre-treatment of sugarcane bagasse for a delivery of upgradable sugars. Energy. 2018, 151, 536-544.
- Morais, A. R. C., Bogel-Lukasik, R. Highly efficient and selective CO2-adjunctive dehydration of xylose to furfural in aqueous media with THF. Green Chem. 2016, 18, 2331-2334.
- Morais, A. R. C., Pinto, V. P., Nunes, D., Roseiro, L. B., Oliveira, M. C., Fortunato, E., Bogel-Łukasik, R. Imidazole: Prospect Solvent for Lignocellulosic Biomass Fractionation and Delignification. ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng. 2016, 4 (3), 1643–1652.
- Morais A. R. C., da Costa Lopes, A.M., Bogel-Lukasik, R. Carbon dioxide in biomass processing: contributions to the green biorefinery concept. Chem. Rev. 2015, 115, 3-17.
- Morais, A. R. C., da Costa Lopes, A. M., Costa, P., Fonseca, I, Nogueira, I. N. Oliveira, A. C. Bogel-Lukasik, R. Cattle fat valorisation through biofuel production by hydrogenation in supercritical carbon dioxide. RSC Advances. 2014, 4, 61.
- Morais, A. R. C., Mata, A. C., Bogel-Łukasik, R. Integrated conversion of agroindustrial residue with high pressure CO2 within biorefinery concept. Green Chem. 2014, 16, 4312-4322.
- Morais, A. R. C., Lukasik, R. M. Highly Selective Dehydration of D-Xylose and Wheat Straw C5-Sugars into Furfural By Using Supercritical CO2 as Catalyst: A Green and Efficient Approach. 2017. AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
- Morais, A. R. C., Relvas, F. M., Mata, A. C., Magalhaes da Silva, S. P., Bogel-Lukasik, R. Highly efficient and selective high-pressure CO2-H2O pre-treatment of agro-industrial residues to produce C5-sugars with high enzymatic hydrolysis yields. 2016. 38th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals, Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Morais, A. R. C., Bogel-Lukasik, R. Supercritical CO2 - a highly selective catalyst for dehydration of lignocellulose-derived pentoses into furfural in aqueous media with THF as co-solvent. 2016. IV Iberoamerican Conference on Supercritical Fluids, Viña del Mar, Chile.
- Morais, A. R. C. Relevance of green solvents in the valorisation of agrowastes in the frame of the biorefinery concept. 2016. Department of Chemistry, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil.
- Morais, A. R. C., Mata, A. C., Magalhães da Silva, S. P., Bogel-Lukasik, R. Producing oligosaccharide-rich solutions from agro-industrial residues using high pressure technologies. 2014. TD 1203 COST Action, Toulouse, France.